Saturday, August 29, 2009

Road Trip

Over the last week I travelled to Montréal, Burlington, Portland, Boston, and Buffalo. I've a limited traveling experience, so visiting new places always makes me reconsider what Metro Detroit is actually like.


It's difficult to separate yourself from the place you've grown up. High unemployment, corruption, social and racial stratification, I see and understand it, but visiting another major city really sharpens those definitions. About a week ago, the Detroit News ran an article detailing the abandonment of buildings in Detroit. You realize it's bad, but not until you understand there are forty story buildings without tenants. These beautiful, magnificent, buildings made by Albert Kahn, left to rot.


You're suddenly left to wonder… How is it that we got here? More importantly, how do we manage to get out?

The issues in an around the city comprised a large part of my work last semester. It seemed in every course, somehow Detroit worked its way in. I've tried using the summer as a buffer, to take space from the issue, but in doing so I've found that my want and interest continues to persist, but with a new-found conflict of abandonment. Fully cognizant of the issues which face the city, but eyes opened to what other metropolitan areas can be like, I'm left to wonder why anyone should be inclined to stay in Detroit.

There must be some motivation beyond compassion for people to stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment