Friday, November 20, 2009

Make

What I Discovered
It's nearly two in the morning, I'm in my studio, and no one else is here. It's admittedly driving me a tad insane.

My last two posts have been a lot of talking and dissection. I figure next week I'll get the chance to spend more time on thoughts since I won't be around the studio. Hannah pushed me to work with my hands, so I'm posting the results of that, plus what I'd done earlier this week.

After I worked by hand, I tried taking some thoughts and translating it across the void to type, just pushing through a dozen different looks about convergence, crossing shape, webs/weaves. I'm going to come in tomorrow and try to do even more, so I may get to amend this post.





























Transition











What Next
Over Thanksgiving, I need to decided on a direction, or narrow my direction down for critique. I need to define what composes a system (color palette, typography, use of white space) and how the work on my logo will influence that. I also want to create a system to evaluate bulletin/posting boards in different areas.

How I Spent My Time
Last weekend I didn't get to work a lot because I was in Detroit for a conference the group put on. I was able to make connections with a few people from the national organization, which I hope has greater meaning for my project int he future. Today… I've been here for like eight hours post-studio time, I'm exhausted and am going home.

2 comments:

  1. Matt,
    Great to see all these process images. (And thanks for the tip on uploading a huge bunch of images at once.)

    I'm still curious -- what are your thoughts about the 'tone of voice' you want for your logo and identity system? I'm not able to weigh in precisely without having a sense of that.

    Re long hours and exhaustion, I offer up the reminder I keep posted in my own studio:


    Behind each jewel,
    there are three thousand
    sweating horses.

    (Zen proverb)


    Keep going...

    stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Political design. hmm... On one hand, I'm a democrat and have no connection to donkeys what-so-ever. But on the other hand, Obama did have a very nice logo. But the reason why Obama's logo worked is that it was associated with the image of Obama and the word "HOPE". But when I see your 'R', I don't make an association other than the words "The Roosevelt Institute"- a group that I no nothing about. I would suggest looking at the official descripions of the group. What is their motto, their principals, their alma matta? The R stands for the Roosevelt Institute, but what does the Roosevelt Institute stand for? You have to work on getting the big pictute out there before you can focus on the specifics. We need something to associate to besides shapes and letters! While I do not feel pride when I see a blue donkey, I do have a distaste for red elephants.

    -Sean

    ReplyDelete