Friday, October 16, 2009

A Brief Update

Discovery
I'm making this short, as I'm leaving town to spend time away from this as much as possible. That's not to say I'm fed up or frustrated with my project. Quite the opposite, I actually feel like I've found direction, but time away for me is just as useful as time working.


I think it's fair to say, less was discovered this week and more was resolved.

What Next
It's simple, I need to make.

1. A large format poster for the regional conference based on the theme of unemployment

2. Some hand-letterpressed invitations or informational guides for the regional conference

3. Spray-chalk stencil

4. Investigate guerilla insertion of advertisements into the Daily.

How I Spent My Time
I spent a lot of time finishing my proposal. I wanted it to be clear for my own sake, not just because that's what we were asked. I spent time pitching the logo idea to the group. I got in contact with Mollie Bates, who is sending me some of her work via snail mail.

I also got in contact with someone who knows the treasurer of American Apparel who can get us shirts at $3.65—nearly 60% off what other places were quoting. After finding that out, I called Adrian's, a local t-shirt printery, and worked out a deal it looks like.

1 comment:

  1. Matt,

    I'm glad to hear that you're sure this is what you want to be doing.
    From what you've written thus far, I admit that I am clear in only the vaguest sense of what the challenges will be for you.

    While you should certainly jump into making, it also strikes me that I don't think I have yet seen any concise, plain English analysis of the strategy / design problem specific to RI -- as distinct from say, the student shadow puppet club. What is the groups greatest underappreciated asset? What is a particular target group who should know about them (ie, would want to know about them), but don't? Who is the possible market? This is an advertising project.
    Are you looking at successful offbeat campaigns? (Doug Hesseltine may be able to rattle some references off the top of his head.)

    Take advantage of the external deadlines inherent in the project (ie, the groups' desire for a t-shirt, upcoming conference) but be sure your work is not only reactive, but also proactive.

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete