Thursday, October 22, 2009

Discovery
It's strange how time apart from work can be productive. There was a funny McSweeney's list that got sent to me I felt explained it perfectly. I went into fall break knowing that I had to come up with two firm design ideas, and did very little constructive work toward them, but came back Wednesday and suddenly I had a few ideas bouncing around.

In truth, I'm trying not to get hung up on what I present in December. I've found thinking about it distracts me from work I've planned to do week-to-week. I've finalized t-shirts and a logo design. I've researched as much demographic information as I can. This weekend I know I need to create a flyer for a writing workshop and poster for the regional event. I'd like to possibly explore hand letter pressed invitations to events.

Beyond that, I need to work on being less reactive. Design work is what I consider 'long-term.' Events and flyers will come up through the course of the year, but being proactive entails planning advertisement and interaction that isn't simply for events The Roosevelt Institute puts on. This is really what I'd like to do before December, have a few solid works in place around campus and photographic evidence of them to generate thought and discussion.

Thursday night, I was at a dinner where Jan-Henrik was present. It was nice to chat with someone new about my project. In discussion and one-on-one meetings, there's a lot of push-back for ideas. Not necessarily because they are bad, but to try and refine them. I'm not sure if this is true for others, but it can create an anxiety that I'm constantly on the wrong path, spinning my wheels in place. It makes me hesitant to move forward.

Yet, Jan excitedly talked about my project, said the group sounded really interesting and that I was pursuing a worthwhile cause. It's rejuvenating mentally to find outright support.

What Next
I have to settle with the fact I am one person, not everything I want to do I can do, so I need to find my focus. I don't care how I hone my thoughts, through coffee, sleep deprivation, or a crippling—but creatively fruitive—drug addiction. I need to finish a poster and flyer for this weekend. I'll stick with that for now.

How I Spent My Time
In honesty, I spent most of fall break sitting around eating a bag of Almond Joys guiltily. This week I regained productivity with sketches. I'm also in the midst of a couple design books, one is A Type Primer by John Kane, the other is Modern Typography by Robin Kinross.

1 comment:

  1. First off, drugs are not the answer, Matt. You'll build a 7 story tall sculpture of Cap N'Crunch sitting on a mushroom, only to wake up in a puddle of vomit. Not cool.

    Secondly, some images would be cool- I want to SEE all the Almond Joy rappers.

    Thirdly, occassionally thinking of December is probably a healthy decision.

    I enjoy your project because the group you chose is so... problematic to design for. So, again, I'd like- we'd all like- if you showed us some more. I know you're focused on the short-term, but I really want to know what the long-term goal is too.

    -Sean

    ReplyDelete