Saturday, January 9, 2010

I'm glad I saw a schedule of what this semester was like, it made me realize we actually all have about two and a half months–not four months to finish.

I have a lot to do, and like I said in our half groups on Thursday, I can't let talking and writing get in the way of working. I feel last semester there were times I was trying to be so careful and so considerate of what I was making, it stopped me from working.

I need to be freer, partly because I think it will help me regain confidence in my work—but also because I can't afford to wait around.

This was the timeline I was thinking of, but it's going to need to be shortened up a bit:

January 6–12
- Redefine keywords,
- Describe tone for logo and advertisements

January 14
- Refine three disparate logos
- Test on various colors

January 19
- Show three logos on example advertisement

January 21
- Feedback on logos and advertisement

January 26
- Select logo (hopefully)
- Refine further
- Create black and white, color and reverse versions

Early February
- Formulate idea for advertisements (type of imagery, color, use of white space, repitition etc.)
- Use earlier research on campus to decide on color and size
- Start half size sketches

Mid/Late February
- Print full size versions of at least three different routes for advertisements
- Get critique on ideas

March
- Finalize advertisements, preferably in a series of three different ads
- Select suggested typeface to be used by the group (preferably that used in the advertisements)
- Begin writing design standards manual

April
- Write succinct creative brief for design standards manual
- Create guidelines for logo usage and advertisement placement
- Print run of the design standards publication and advertisements
- Present to The Roosevelt Institute

1 comment:

  1. Hi Matt,

    It sounds like you have a really interesting project here. I'm excited to be working with you.

    I agree that the tone is really important, and you said that's what you need to work on... I went through old blog posts looking for your initial motivation to work with this group, and you state very sincerely what drew you to this group, and why they are so important. If you are having a hard time loosening up with this idea (after working with it for so long), why not do a little exercise where you describe what The Roosevelt Institute is about, what it means to you, and then ask them how it might relate to them specifically. This might give you more room/inspiration for visual representation, and this might give you more insight from your target audience. This doesn't have to be full-fledged interviews, but a casual exercise to shake things up a bit.

    Let me know if you want to discuss-
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete