Sunday, January 17, 2010

Taglines and Ads

Unfortunately, this weekend has exactly been great. I sprained the SI joint in my back at the end of last week and have spent most of the weekend at the doctor's/in PT/in pain.

What I Discovered
I've been going back and reviewing some of the work I did last semester, searching for things that might have been useful, but ultimately I passed over. The first thing I began working on was just a name with a tagline


The first half I was just trying to move around the text and see what happens. I was playing with some different taglines, different sentences pulled out of the mission statement—I was thinking about it as being straight-forward, not cryptic. The second image is something I began to develop with more though, trying to think of the name and tagline as moveable components.

I was on the phone last week, just sort of sketching on a piece of paper, when this idea popped into my head as well.

It features a lot of the ideas of overlap I had been thinking about previously. So I tried taking it and spinning it into a few advertisements:



There's also another set of advertisements I have in my head right now, but haven't really worked them out yet. I'm hopinh by Tuesday I'll also have those.

What Next
I'm beginning to understand that the work I did first semester wasn't a hopeless endeavor, that a lot of good and unique ideas did come from my work—it's just that in working so close to a problem some were either overlooked or not quite fully developed. I've found that talking about my work can be really nice, but this spurt of just working on some ideas has also been really enjoyable, a lot more so than spinning my wheels in aggravation.

So for Tuesday, I'm hoping to have two different thoughts of advertisements to present and then more logo revisions. The tagline seems promising, but I'd like to take a few of the visual options I came up with earlier in the year and refine them more as well.

How I Spent My Time
I spent a lot of time hunched over my computer, looking through old blog posts, sketching in a notebook, and coming up with stuff in Adobe Illustrator. I still need to print a bunch of work off as well.

2 comments:

  1. Matt--
    I hope you're feeling better! Ouch!
    These are looking interesting. Look forward to seeing them/talking about them as a group tomorrow.

    -stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt,

    I like where you are going with these last ads. You were playing with this sort of color overlap last semester, but by using the image of the word bubble, you are able to activate the idea of discussion, debate, and the fusion of ideas. I think you have found something important here.
    Something I find confusing: you have been working all year on creating a logo for this group, yet the iterations of names and taglines in your first attachment experiment with several different fonts. Do you find the display of the name of the group and their logo to be aesthetically separate things?

    Hope your back feels better soon!
    Erica

    ReplyDelete