Thursday, February 11, 2010

Small update

What I Discovered
So this past week has been all about getting different iterations ready for Tuesday. I'll just talk briefly about what I've done, then on to the images. I've begun to settle on a grouping of material that I feel is necessary for the advertisements:

1. The group's name
2. The tagline
3. The center names
4. The word bubbles
5. The mention of it being at the University of Michigan
6. Website link

Now the website doesn't actually exist yet, but as I said in my last post I'm fairly certain I'll be expanding this to the web and the domain isn't registered yet.

Other than that. I remember a strong preference for the word bubbles coming from a single point as opposed to all over. Hannah felt there was a really nice contrast between the dot next to the tagline and the text "The Roosevelt Institute." However, I kind of want that dot to somehow be a piece of The Roosevelt Institute.

Other than that, I've been trying to play with what is seen first. (e.g., is the tagline where the information starts, or is it what you end on). The compositions are still shaky, I'm just trying to figure out how all the symbols work together. There's also a grayscale version, because I need to see how it operates with that.









What's Next
I still have about three or four more ideas I'd like to have done for Tuesday, so I need to get those done and print of about 12–13 things. I hope to get good comments about them on Tuesday and then plug away at them more. Time is essential, but I feel I've been making good progress in recent weeks. Luckily, I finished my second rough draft last week, so I won't have that hanging over my head—I can just focus on this stuff.

How I Spent My Time
Unfortunately, I didn't make it to class today because I felt kind of sick. I wanted to get some comments about what I was doing before Tuesday. Otherwise, last week I spent a good time expanding my paper in some areas, making it more concise in others. I actually spent a little bit of time back on a roll of trace before I launched headlong into these new iterations. Then, I spent time in Adobe Illustrator coming up with these.

1 comment:

  1. Matt,
    Thank you for the shorter, more concise post. I am most drawn to the second iteration (or the first one in color) that you have posted. The vertical format elongates the lines creating a really dynamic visual image. This also naturally allows The Roosevelt Institute name to visually act as an overseer of these policies being created. This is really working for you!
    The iterations with the black boxed letters seem awkward still. Though they create a nice contrast with the colored bubbles, the choppy shapes of the boxes are not serving you well... yet. Those text boxes give it a very 1990's Reality Bites type of feel. Play with it more though, you may be onto something.
    Erica

    ReplyDelete