Friday, March 26, 2010

11 Days, 12 Nights in an Art School Cubicle

What I Discovered
So I have about eleven days to finish everything. This is typically the part of the year I bring a sleeping bag and pillow to my studio. I'm going to briefly post some of the iterations I did for this week. Unfortunately, I didn't get to photograph them so I have to show the print files:


 

Basically, my main problem is I still haven't figured out how to get those secondary statements to align over the word bubbles. I think I'm grouping them better, but now weird parts of the statements are being called out by virtue of the overlap. The placement of the website could also be better I think.

Otherwise, I think the 'cropped' nature lends to better placement on the page. It also is a lot more dynamic than some word bubbles being dumped onto a page. I was designing for different formats too, like the 8.5 x 11, the vertical Diag Boads.

How I Spent My Time
A large portion of these last two weeks has been trying to get this to work on other formats, other media. I've also been trying to ask people unrelated to my project for advice and insight to see if they see anything at the last minute that we all can't since we've seen this so much. It's been helpful, but I still am a bit worried about how those statements go over the word bubbles for each center.

What's Next
Primarily, resolving the issue I mentioned above. Beyond that, I have a ton of work I need to print, then photograph, and condense into the identity guide. For the text, I basically wrote out what I wanted to say, then cut it in half, then cut it in half again. Luckily, uLitho prints small runs of books on good paper, so I'm not dumping this off at Kinko's and praying they don't screw it up.

So foremost, the book and the posters/handouts are most important. Then I'll deal with the website, that's something I can work on after things are turned in on the 6th. Mark wasn't too optimistic I'd be able to get a computer either, so I don't want to focus on that, only to not be able to show it. Besides, people who have webwork as their primary medium (Katie) should get computers first.

No comments:

Post a Comment